Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

mickeykord (mickey)

Funkygrad
  Tech Gear
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS

Author Topic: Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
gabrielgnjl

Total Posts: 101

Product: nüvi® 1350
Price: $200
From: Best Denki, Courts, Harvey Norman, any major electronics store

Verdict: not recommended for local driving, but very helpful for road tripping to Malaysia
Why: too expensive, but very helpful when you could actually get lost

Main Review:

There was a time when GPS was something you only saw on James Bond movies. Nowadays almost any handphone can do it. Not to mention the fact that Google Maps has revolutionized and made redundant all physical forms of maps.

My parents decided to install one of these in our car. I thought it was stupid. I always thought learning your way around driving is more of a trial and error thing. Well it really made things easier.

All you have to do is enter your destination and the GPS will lead you to your destination step by step.

The screen shows you in detail the roads and junctions where you are, and even announces (and you can even choose a male of female voice) when to turn left, keep left, etc so you never get it wrong.

It even does things like warn you where there are red light cameras and where there are petrol kiosks and F and B outlets.

Seriously, you only need all these services if you are a tourist. I mean do you really need a GPS to tell you where you can find food when you are driving around Ang Mo Kio? Alright maybe it can help you find a place to park.

More importantly, who needs a GPS for $200 when you can learn to drive around Singapore in maybe 2 days. I do not think it possible to actually get lost.

Lastly, and this is really the ultimate reason not to buy a GPS, everything this thing can do, an iPhone can do.

Ok having said all that, I recently took a trip to Melaka, and this GPS was amazingly useful. Yes Garmin GPS products usually come with maps of Malaysia, and you can pay extra to download other countries' maps.

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 | Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0