Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

bretttrembly (brett)

Funkygrad
  Tech Gear
Web Review: Twitter

Author Topic: Web Review: Twitter
gabrielgnjl

Total Posts: 101

Product: Twitter
Price: Free!

Verdict: not recommended
Why: Facebook pretty much covers its functions, but it is useful for specific followings

Main Review:

With mobile phones users increasingly becoming mobile internet users, the ease of mobile social updates has become a staple to many of us.

Twitter has not really caught on in Singapore. As far as I know, most people turn to Facebook for a quick online fix of social-life updates, leaving Friendster, MSN, IRC, and of course ICQ, in online dust.

I was tempted to try it mainly because a couple of my friends who study/studied in the US picked up on it. Turns out Twitter works like the 'status' function of Facebook. Some call it 'micro-blogging' and basically you update it regularly, people 'follow' you, and vice versa.

The advantage it has over Facebook, is you can follow people or companies or causes or basically anything. I realise that this trend has caught on on Facebook as well, but Twitter does not require friends to be 'approved', so you could follow celebrities, companies, Mickey Mouse, your neighbour you secretly have the hots for, and basically anyone or anything. However, the idea of fanpages has quickly developed on Facebook as well. Perhaps its simplicity is the draw of Twitter. It has one function, it is easy to use, and people bother to update it regularly.

As someone who uses Facebook regularly, I think Twitter becomes a bit of a chore to update and follow regularly. People usually don't like to duplicate functions of things they use because it just becomes redundant and bothersome. I gave up on Twitter within a week.

IP Logged

maomel

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 437
For the record, Funkygrad is at www.twitter.com/funkygrad haha

IP Logged

proxious

Total Posts: 2
thanks for the heads up folks

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 | Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.