Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

1 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

parttimemaidspore (maid)
Singapore

Funkygrad
  Tech Gear
Tech Review: Macbook Air

Author Topic: Tech Review: Macbook Air
foolie87

Lifestyle Reviewer

Total Posts: 3

IT Review:

Product: Apple Macbook Air (2nd Gen)
Price: $1,488 (11”) - $2,388 (13”)
2) Apple Exclusive Retailers (soon)

Verdict: Recommended
Why: A really good product overall for on-the-go users, except for a slightly hefty price tag.

Main Review:

Although its not really available off the shelf here in Singapore as of yet, watching the videos posted on Apple’s website would sure send techies drooling. You begin to wonder, how thin can any computer get?

Apple has always been a fine blend of sleek, catchy design and hardcore engineering. Its like a tech company that dresses up. Packaging is everything. And so the same applies to the new Macbook Air.

Yet this product does not just look good on the outside; it packs the many good things in life into one: the Mac OS X operating system, a long battery life(5 hour for 11.6”, 7 hours for 13”), multi-touch trackpad, the reliable and fast all-flash storage. This is one ‘book’ that I would surely judge from its cover.

But, this neat little thing has some issues of its own. First up, it’s a little pricey for some slightly outdated hardware. It uses Core 2 Duo Chips while everyone else ses i3 or i5 chips. Although its flash-storage is fast and reliable, but it maxes out at 128GB only. It also lacks minor perks like the backlit keyboard and SD card slot that its bigger counterparts provides.

If you are fresh windows convert, then this product needs a little getting used to. MAC OS X is quite the same with the standard Windows OS, just that it starts up real quick. =)

All in all, the new Macbook Air is a real good product overall. Its light, thin, easy to carry around, has all the things I need from a computer. Best of all, its cool-looking design makes me want to bring it around and flaunt it.

IP Logged

elly

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 746
What does it look like?

IP Logged

es-star91

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 687
Here you go.

http://gizmodo.com/5111658/macbook-air-2 nd-gen-review

It was love at first sight when I saw this product 1st Gen at Best-Denki. It's pretty sleek and slim for carrying. However, thought it was too expensive and the specs don't seem to be able to accomodate with designers' heavy softwares... 2nd Gen is considered quite cheap compare to the 1st Gen's price I saw back then, which was around $3k, (if I hadn't remember wrongly.)

Guess what foolie87 said is right, "Perhaps the Macbook Air is perfect for its designated audience: fast-paced, mobile professionals or users, who needs lightweight, ultra-portable and reliable computing power wherever they are, whenever they need it." It's probabaly more suitable for people who don't need to use heavy-duty softwares on notebook.

IP Logged

maomel

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 437
I find the price of Macbook Air not too expensive. But 5 hours for battery life is not the best. There are many other laptops with batter life of 12 hours and beyond.

IP Logged

SusanChua

Total Posts: 175
The chipset of Macbook Air is generation older than most of the current notebooks.

But it sure looks very sleek and thin.

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 | Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0