Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

parttimemaidspore (maid)
Singapore

Funkygrad
  Tech Gear
Tech Review: iPhone 4 - Want one?

Author Topic: Tech Review: iPhone 4 - Want one?
raykisses

Lifestyle Reviewer

Total Posts: 6

Product: iPhone 4
Price: $888 for the 16GB and $1048 for the 32GB
Lauched date: 29th July 2010
From: Singtel, M1, Starhub, or all licensed Apple retailers.

With a release of barely two months, it has already taken Singapore by storm. All the aunties and uncles on the trains are flipping out their new favourite gadget, the iPhone 4. Plugging in their earphones, or toying with their newly downloaded applications, they revel in their technological superiority while some of us are still stuck using our ‘outdated’ smartphones.

Now what makes the iPhone 4 stand out amongst its competitors?

Judging from peer evaluation of the iPhone 4G, the interface is idiot-proof. You simply know how to use the product once you get your hands on one. Everything is simply a tap, swipe, pinch or twist away! Moreover, it almost seems as if theres always something new being incorporated or something new to discover. It encompasses all the perks and quirks of owning an Apple product.

Did you know that you could take screenshots by holding the power button and home button simultaneously? And did you know that you could lock the phone in either lateral or vertical settings by double-pressing your home button and selecting the option? And did you know that you receive push notifications for most applications like ebuddy msn and facebook?

Anyway, what makes the iPhone 4 more amazing than its predecessor?
1. Applications are simply more amazing and run more smoothly.
2. The design is simply gorgeous.
3. The retina display High-Definition screen is drool worthy.
4. Apple finally incorporated a flash into its camera, and got itself a fun front-facing camera to boot.
5. It runs on a new A4 processor, which allows for unparalleled speeds.

However, some shortfalls include:
1. The highly publicized Facetime (videocall) service does not work on the 3G network.
2. The ringtone still cannot be changed (but will be available after it has been updated in the OS).
3. It runs on a micro-simcard, thus you will not be able to use phones interchangeably.

Verdict:
This is a definite must buy. The simplicity and range of use is expansive and the number of applications as well as the browser speed is unparalleled.

IP Logged

elly

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 746
Nice, how do you compare this with the previous version?

IP Logged

elly

Very Senior Member

I think $880 is for iphone without plan right? It's much cheaper with plan. Should make that clear.

IP Logged

raykisses

Lifestyle Reviewer

Display: 960x640 px Retina display in iPhone 4G vs 480x320 px display in 3GS.

Camera: 5.0megapixels in iPhone 4G and 3.0megapixels in 3GS. Additional flash function is incorporated into the iPhone 4 and a front-facing VGA camera is included for facetime (videocall) purposes.

Video: High Definition(HD) videos with 720p resolution in the iPhone 4G vs the VGA videos in the 3GS.

Thickness: iPhone 4 is the thinnest smartphone in the market, approximately 24% thinner than the 3GS.

Battery life: iPhone 4 has a battery life that is approximately 20% longer than the 3GS, with 7hours of 3G talktime vs 5hours in the 3GS.

IP Logged

raykisses

Lifestyle Reviewer

iPhone 4 16GB

M1
S$480 (iPhone Value)
S$210 (iPhone Lite)
S$0 (iPhone Extreme)

Singtel
S$480 (iFlexi Lite)
S$210 (iFlexi Value)
S$0 (iFlexi Plus)

Starhub
S$500 (3G SmartSurf 100)
S$230 (3G SmartSurf 300)
S$0 (3G SmartSurf 700)

iPhone 4 32GB

M1
S$620 (iPhone Value)
S$360 (iPhone Lite)
S$60 (iPhone Extreme)

Singtel
S$620 (iFlexi Lite)
S$360 (iFlexi Value)
S$60 (iFlexi Plus)

Starhub
S$630 (3G SmartSurf 100)
S$380 (3G SmartSurf 300)
S$70 (3G SmartSurf 700)

IP Logged

elly

Very Senior Member

Thanks. This will be useful.

Been considering whether to convert to iphone. I know everyone has one but why must I follow everyone?

IP Logged

es-star91

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 687
Good review. But yea, everyone is having iphone. Why not an Android phone??? I don't think it's as outdated as other smartphones right..? I've been wanting to get a new phone and I still don't know which is better. Android or Iphone or Blackberry? Would be good if you can share some of your thoughts!

IP Logged

raykisses

Lifestyle Reviewer

iPhone currently has the most expansive application store compared to android phones. I would consider it a better choice until Android companies can integrate Apple's applications into their products. Moreover, Apple has the most extensive physical store for movies and music as well, and these are easily integrated into the phone straight off iTunes.

iPhone 4's retina display has the highest pixel count amongst its competitors, with a whopping 960 x 640 px resolution.

Samsung's AMOLED display is proving to be more vibrant so you may want to consider that.

iPhone has the best standby battery life and one of the highest talk times compared to HTC and Google's Nexus One.

iPhone is the thinnest smartphone in the market so far

It has the highest internal storage available in the market so far as well. Other's rely on the microSD card for external storage and this may lag the Android system.

The interface is gorgeous and very easy to use whereas other phones may take a little time getting accustomed to.

So my advice is:
If you like an OEM physical qwerty keyboard over a touchscreen phone, you would definitely pick the Blackberry. Blackberry also minimizes data exchange to about 1/3 the file size of most other smartphones. Your choice of phone-plan should definitely take this into account.

Most users are shifting to touchscreen interfaces and focus heavily on the size, vibrancy and quality of the screen. You may not pick the iPhone if vibrancy is in question as the AMOLED (light-emitting diode) technology which Samsung employs in their phones provides a more colour-rich alternative.

iPhone is simply a very user-friendly phone which is easy to integrate with pre-existing software such as your iTunes, with the most expansive and interactive application and physical store for consumer selection. Apple always takes consumer feedback into account and improve their products. Moreover, since all technology is developed by Apple, it is a very integrated product which will not crash easily.

Lastly, as so many brands run on the Android system, developers will have a challenge creating applications that are compatible with all the phones which run on the Android program, so until they can improve their open source programme which integrates all the phones, iPhone still proves to be the best choice.

IP Logged

es-star91

Very Senior Member

Great one. You really have shown its advantages clearly in the detailed review. Loads of information given and I'm pretty much convinced now. Many others have just been telling me Iphone is better than other phones but have yet shown me how it is better than other phones. Hence, good comparison out there! Keep it up and thanks a lot! I'll look into the review and consider which to get.

IP Logged

hotbull

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1300
For those waiting for the white iPhone 4, its release has been delayed again.

The white iPhone 4 is delayed.

For those keeping track, yes, that is the third time you've read that headline since June. Apple is saying that the white version of the iPhone 4 now won't be for sale until spring 2011.

IP Logged

es-star91

Very Senior Member

Any reason why the release is delayed?? I wonder if anyone here is getting a white one.. I'm tempted to get it now, since the review is not bad... but white... most likely easy to get dirty uh?

However, come to think of it again, it doesnt seem to make much difference. Since there's so many iphone casings in the market. D:

IP Logged

tigerdeer

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 679
If you compare the iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy S, you'll find the Galaxy has better screen colors. The Androit OS is also not too bad for multi tasking.

IP Logged

es-star91

Very Senior Member

I kinda like Android. I'm using HTC tattoo now.. (don't quite like HTC though) Been wanting to get galaxy S since its release but find it abit too pricey... the AMOLED screen looks friggin awesome, but was trying it out at handphone shops.. I think Iphone4 has a smoother interface compared to GalaxyS?

IP Logged

hotbull

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1300
the iphone is more expensive than galaxy. If you can't afford galaxy, you won't be able to afford iphone too

IP Logged

es-star91

Very Senior Member

Hmmm, but I thought with plan, Iphone is cheaper? That time I was told Iphone was $480 while Galaxy was $600++.

IP Logged

es-star91

Very Senior Member

Okay, come to think of it... I guess it was due to non-promotion period for galaxy S. That's why I got such quotations.

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 | Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0