Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

CaseyG (Casey)
London School of Economics

Funkygrad
  Tech Gear
Anyone getting the iPad?

Author Topic: Anyone getting the iPad?
wei ling

Total Posts: 278

It's going to selling here from tomorrow. Anyone going to get one?

Which spec are you getting? The one with 3G or just the wifi?

I'm tempted to get one to just surf. I think it's probably a cool gadget to just surf the web. It has pretty limited functionalities otherwise I feel.

IP Logged

hotbull

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1300
Just couldnt' understand why people are crazy over iPad. I think if you really dig Apple products, the iBook or iMac will be a better gadget.

IP Logged

lame_chop

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 515
Heard from the evening news that the iPads are already sold out in some outlets.

IP Logged

SusanChua

Total Posts: 175
Can the iPad be connected to a projector? Does it have an outlet? I'm thinking of storing powerpt decks in this and using it to present stuff. Anyone knows?

IP Logged

mason

Community Chief

Total Posts: 204
I have one at my workplace, I'll check it out and let you know... anything else you want to know?

IP Logged

mason

Community Chief

So Susan, I checked, the iPad doesn't have a projector port, but I think there are accessories that you can buy that would enable you to project your iPad screen to the normal projector port..

IP Logged

hotbull

Ultra Senior Member

Take note that your microsoft powerpoint cannot be run with iPad. The closest Apple has to Powerpoint is an app called Keynote. But I don't think Keynote is available for download to ipad.

Note that you basially can only download and install apps onto iPad via Apple Apps Store.

My take is don't use iPad for work. It's a most a reading and surfing device.

This message was edited by hotbull on 09 Aug 2010 08:06 PM

IP Logged

mason

Community Chief

yeah, hate apple for their dictatorship and monopolistic practices.

IP Logged

37degrees

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 303
quote:
Originally posted by mason:
So Susan, I checked, the iPad doesn't have a projector port, but I think there are accessories that you can buy that would enable you to project your iPad screen to the normal projector port..
NO USB port either..

IP Logged

mason

Community Chief

Yup, but it has the standard apple port... =x

IP Logged

FicklMe

Total Posts: 124
I'd not get an iPad because I think it's...kinda... impractical, at least for Singapore. For other countries where traveling usually lasts at least an hour, that's when the iPad comes in handy. Otherwise, an iPod does equally well, doesn't it? And if you're at home or something, a MacBook is definitely better.

IP Logged

es-star91

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 687
yea especially when we are living in a busy society, everyday is just pure rushing. having a smartphone is good enough.

IP Logged

37degrees

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 303
Apparently the iPad does not support Flash (read: you can't book Cathay movie tickets online), can anyone verify?

IP Logged

hotbull

Ultra Senior Member

Both iPad and iPhone do not support Flash.

But no one develops an entire website in flash nowadays I believe.

I just checked Cathay's booking site and it's not in flash.

Shaw has a mobile ticketing site which is quite cool. Check it out.

IP Logged

guitar

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 2790
So is anybody using the iPad.

Both my wife and I are using iPhones.

However, recently she said that she's keen on getting the iPad, I think because her boss has one and she thinks it is cool.

So, I'm thinking, maybe I should get her one for Christmas as a surprise.

But before I do that, what really cool stuff can she do on the iPad that she can't on the iPhone?

Also, I assume it makes sense to get the iPad with 3G connection so that she can surf anywhere?

IP Logged

peardruid

Total Posts: 87
Think of the iPad as a glorified iPhone, Mr. Guitar. No disrespect to your esteemed wife, sir, but the only iPad users I have knowledge of (usually my associates in school) seem to focus on the gaming potential of the machine. In my not-very-well-informed and therefore humble opinion the iPad is a neither-here-nor-there device that is neither meant for serious work, nor serious fun.

Having said that, given the generous government bonuses of this present year, it might be still worthwhile getting the said machine for your loved one. After all, women enjoy receiving gifts that have objectively speaking no utility worthy of speaking of (growing up with two much older sisters I feel I am relatively well-qualified to say that). If you know that it is highly probable that she would be happy with such a gift, it is a good choice. 'Nuff said.

IP Logged

guitar

Ultra Senior Member

peardruid,

I like your comparison - 'glorified iPhone'

IP Logged

wei ling

Total Posts: 278
The iPad can't even be used to make calls. It's not even an iPhone!

IP Logged

guitar

Ultra Senior Member

Good point!

Hmmm maybe I will try to convince the missus that the iPad is not practical. But being practical might not be a consideration haha.

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 | Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0