Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

jacksparly (jack)
Singapore Management University

Funkygrad
  Musings
Star Awards 2002 Upsets

Author Topic: Star Awards 2002 Upsets
TheOne

Total Posts: 28

Who was your biggest upset? As in the deserving as well as non-deserving ones. Mine was Tay Ping Hui. Thought he was a definite shoo-in for Top 10.

IP Logged

kuching kurat

Total Posts: 39
'Dong fang billie' in top ten. I was like he channel 8 one meh? Anyway this year's awards is star-studded. I mean the presenters, you got 2 heavenly kings( Andy Lau & Aaron Kwok), Tony Leung, karen mok. Wow channel 8 really put in a lot of effort for this show. But as my parents says "Boh pian mah. channel 8 is losing the tv ratings to Channel U.

IP Logged

TheOne

Total Posts: 28
Referring to the show itself, the 2 hosts had very bad chemistry.

IP Logged

light17

Total Posts: 231
Mine was when Jeanette Aw won Most Popular Newcomer. Thought Allan Wu or Le Yao will have better chances than her since they had more shows. Anyone feels that it's fixed since she jumped ship from U-know-where? Gurmit Singh actually got into the Top 10! I was quite surprised to see Tay Ping Hui and Vincent Ng off the list. As for the ladies, Michelle Saram and Phyllis Quek? Oh please one didnt even have any shows on Channel 8 for the past year, another acted in a crappy show. Yvonne Lim should be in instead!

IP Logged

sheltie

Total Posts: 57
Overall, star awards = singapore's showbiz political event of the year. I felt that SCV channel 54 was more interesting than TCS. I saw Patricia Mok I wanna puke. I cannot stand Jeanette Aw's hair so bombastic. But overall, Huang Biren deserved the best actress award!

This message was edited by sheltie on 09 Dec 2002 12:52 AM

IP Logged

Kanzer

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 375
Chen Shucheng finally won the lifetime achievement award after 32 years of toiling kudos to him. I remember watching him in Wu Suo Nan Yang 20 years ago. To me, he should have won this before Zoe Tay and Fann Wong which I think earlier to claim this award.

IP Logged

sP@@Ky

Total Posts: 122
A damn lame show and not to mention a con job too. I wonder how many people actually call in to support these people and the amount they have to pay.

IP Logged

Ryce

Total Posts: 61
Really happy for Chen Huihui. but I thought Joey Swee posed a tough competition. And yes, I was surprised and disappointed that Tay Ping Hui didn't get in. Oh well. The worst thing: Michelle Saram? Arghhh what a turn-off!

IP Logged

sfw

Total Posts: 211
Not surprised about Dong Fang Billy, afterall, he has a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) following among the Aunties. He has an afternoon show on Channel 8, has written a book and has a very popular talkshow on 97.2fm. So no surprise that all these old ladies (with much free time on their hands) would go all out to vote for him.

I thought some awards were rigged. Like Jeanette Aw, Michelle Saram and even Chen Hui Hui. Jeanette Aw cuz Mediacorp wanted to justify her jumping ship from Mediaworks. Michelle Saram because they are trying to push her popularity up due to her involvement with Meteor Garden II. (Incidentally, all the Taiwanese hate her) Chen Hui Hui I think is a pity vote. Among all the roles she has been nominated for the past few years, this is definitely not her best, she really should have won years ago. Joey Swee should have gotten it this year.

And oh yeah, why no Tay Ping Hui? And who are the people who voted Mark Lee in?! Lastly, what's with Sharon Au winning best host again and again? I really prefer Dasmond Koh.

This message was edited by sfw on 09 Dec 2002 01:34 PM

IP Logged

Garfielle

Total Posts: 131
I also feel that the results were rigged more or less. Someone was telling me that Jeanette would definitely win cos mediacorp wanna "peng hong ta" eversince she was pulled over from MediaWorks.

To be truthful, I didnt feel that Michelle Saram and Phyllis should be in the Top 10. How about Aileen Quek and Vivian Lai who are also good actress but they never get in.

Talking about the top 10 male artiste, I dont understand why Billy Lee was inside. I think he is very very lucky cos he also got the most popular DJ this year in the Radio awards. Anyway, why was Gurmit shortlisted for the top 10 artiste? Isnt he from Channel 5?

The best supporting actress should be going to Joey instead. No doubt Chen Huihui was good, but I think this year should be won by Joey. My pick was Joey and she was a dark horse for this contest.

This message was edited by Garfielle on 09 Dec 2002 04:05 PM

IP Logged

mystical_spirit

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 339
Results :
BEST ACTRESS
Huang Biren (Beautiful Connection)

BEST ACTOR
Li Nanxing (The Vagrant)

TOP 10 MOST POPULAR FEMALE ARTISTES
Zoe Tay
Huang Biren
Jacelyn Tay
Phyllis Quek
Sharon Au
Michelle Saram
Fann Wong
Xiang Yun
Ivy Lee
Chen Liping

TOP 10 MOST POPULAR MALE ARTISTES
Billy Wang
Edmund Chen
Jack Neo
Xie Shaoguang
Chew Chor Meng
Gurmit Singh
Li Nanxing
Dasmond Koh
Christopher Lee
Mark Lee

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Chen Shucheng

MOST POPULAR NEWCOMER
Jeanette Aw

YOUNG TALENT AWARD
Lee Chuang Rui (I Not Stupid)

BEST VARIETY SHOW HOST
Sharon Au (City Beat)

BEST COMEDY PERFORMER
Mark Lee (Katong Miss Oh)

BEST SITCOM
I Not Stupid

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Chen Huihui (The Wing of Desire)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Huang Yiliang (The Vagrant)

BEST NEWS/CA PRESENTER
Chun Guek Lay

BEST THEME SONG
Bukit Ho Swee

MOST POPULAR ACTRESS (MALAYSIA)
Zoe Tay

MOST POPULAR ACTOR (MALAYSIA)
Chen Hanwei

BEST VARIETY SPECIAL
NKF Charity Show 2

BEST VARIETY PROGRAM
The Mission

BEST DRAMA SERIAL
Beautiful Connection

IP Logged

Honeygal

Total Posts: 39
Really have to agree that that Michelle Saram really sucks. I mean she can't act for nuts yet she was so arrogant on stage yesterday.

Anyway the Taiwanese really hate her due to the Mentor Garden II. And you all hear her said that she put in her best effort. News also reported that she was pissed at the Taiwanese calling her 'Filipino maid'. I think she is just trying to show to the others that 'I still win despite all the bad feedbacks.' I seriously think that she should be more humble and accept others' honest opinion.

Feels upset that Florence Tan didn't even make it to the Top 20. She is really pretty and her acting is not too bad. Don't why she is left out.

IP Logged

minke

Total Posts: 59
Totally agree with those who say Michelle Saram shouldn't be in the top 10. She really got big problem! Not popular in Mentor Garden II yet still say out tht she act in it. Really throwing her own face.

IP Logged

sfw

Total Posts: 211
Ok Michelle Saram sucked in that Mediacorp show, that's why I can't believe her Top 10 place. But I've watched some episodes of Meteor Garden 2 and I think some comments have been a little unfair. I think she did quite well in it. She's really photogenic and her acting in it ain't that bad. Maybe gotta work on her Mandarin though, always got this funny accent. I think a lot of anger directed at her in Taiwan is because her role in the show breaks up the relationship of the 2 leading characters.

IP Logged

quixotic

Total Posts: 48
Well, I am never a follower of the local TV scene, and I never did watch the silly star awards. But however, I always get amused by the obsequious aftermath. Please isn't TV programmes ficticious? I wonder why the local TV never produce any real documentaries? What a letdown. Anyway, judging from the threads, that michelle or saram or whatever you call her, IF she is just so loathesome due to her role in that taiwan show, then hasn't she succeed as an actress? *shrugs* so what's the fuss about her getting in top 10? And the ironic part is that though Taiwanese watch yet many shows, why can't they differentiate that this particular actress is just acting out her role in the show? GOODNESS gracious me!

IP Logged

loop

Community Chief

Total Posts: 1023
quote:
Originally posted by quixotic:
I wonder why the local TV never produce any real documentaries? What a letdown.
You have a mis-conception here. Local TV has loads of LOCAL documentarties. Channel 8 has Money Week, Focus, Frontline and Tuesday Report. And Channel News Asia offers lots of English documentaries and analysis programmes like Talking Point. And all the above I've mentioned are local productions only. There are still US based productions like 60 Minutes all on show on our local television.

So it isn't fair to say it's a letdown that local TV don't produce documentaries. It's a letdown that either you aren't informed or you never bother to find out.

IP Logged

quixotic

Total Posts: 48
Yes, I do admit that I'm misinformed here coz I'm not a follower of the local TV scene coz like what I say, nothing intrigues me at all, it's all just news and stupid celebrities promoting some places of intersts, or some other crap. Yeah, have seen some of the programmes you mention, but it's no where near documentaries like Nat geog, discovery blah blah, if you have seen the documentaries they are coming up with in HKG as compared to SG, you will know what I'm trying to say my dear. Yes, I might have been to harsh in leashing out my previous posting, but I still stick to my stand. However, Channel News Asia has got my thumbs up imitating BBC and CNN news oriented. And yes, they do show some good and intellectual documentaries but I don't think that they are local ones. MediaWorks is the one that I'm counting for to produce my kind of documentaries they are trying and I can see that.

IP Logged

loop

Community Chief

Total Posts: 1023
You said specifically "local TV never produce any documentaries" The lack of quality, regardless of whether it's true or not, is a separate issue from whether local TV produce documentaries or not.

If you want to discuss about quality of documentaries, don't deny the fact that local TV produces such programmes. It's making you incoherent.

Anyway, it'll be good if the Star Awards can include an award to current affairs programmes and documentaries. They deserve some recognition.

IP Logged

hucks =]

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 712
National Geographic and Discovery are channels, not documentaries. I do feel that Mediacorp is doing a pretty decent job of producing current affairs and news programmes. Mediaworks seems to be more into the lifestyle programme scene (theirs certainly beat Mediacorp's hands down). As for the Star Awards, I believe a documentary about the night scene in Geylang won an award.

IP Logged

LesMiz

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 649
I agree with loop and hucks that local media enterprises ought to be commended about the programmes they have been coming up with. In my opinion, Mediawork's lifestyle-oriented programmes actually make more for gossip fodder rather than serious conversation. Star Awards pays accolade more to the artistes rather than the programmes, but seriously I feel that the awards are rigged one way or another.

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 2Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0