Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

mickeykord (mickey)

Funkygrad
  Femme & Homme
French Femme: Christina Liao

Author Topic: French Femme: Christina Liao
Sunnyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyySideUp

Total Posts: 162

Then obviously, your sentiment is flawed because your assumptions follow little basis. From my understand of the context, it seems that both of them are well-versed in French. So what's your problem? She's conversing with the writer in French, what does it got to do with general impressions on the student population unless you jump to your own conclusions based on what your general perception about NUS students are and even your perceptions are flawed in the first place.

IP Logged

3n|9m@

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1231
Well blame it on the title of this thread then, it was never supposed to be "French Femme", well, I think the poster meant a femme this time with a French flavour to it, but did not actually mean French as in the femme featured is French.

Well, sometimes you can never win, can you? Imagine this young accountant who drives a fast car, and when asked why he does that? If his reply is "it's a form of self-expression" and you go "yah right, what a poseur!", if he says "so that I can pick up young babes easily", you might go "utterly frank, but damn it I can't stand his attitude!" Huh-huh, if you are not ok with that, then at best we live in the world where nobody drives fast cars, nobody speaks foreign languages, and nobody disagrees with you supafreak, what a boring world that will be!

IP Logged

SupaFreak

Total Posts: 173
Woh easy there sunny. No hard feelings. I am just saying it the way I am calling it. Yeh, I was quick to generalize but really, you can't blame anybody for that, it is easy to form a bad impression based on an incident. (read my earlier posts).

And no offence, I speak French too and fluently. It is not a matter of agreements or disagreements. Everyone is entitled to their own freedom of expressions and likewise, beliefs. I am not holding it against nobody. It is just I find it rather "amusing" (to be politically correct) that the title is French Femme and how the model in question, goes about with that little flighty attitude of hers, babbling and harping repeatedly on the topic of her "love" for all things French. I am not trying to be difficult but it definitely made her come across as one dimensional.

And what are you talking about 3n9m? I am not insuinating nothing. Nor do I go round disagreeing with shit like that. Not as if I give a hoot about what others do. It is just this matter, that I thought I like to bring up cos I have a personal experience in a similar situation (with that "Pseudo-french" student) and I thought this model in question, does kinda sorta remind me of a person like that. I may be wrong, I may be right. But it is just an opinion, so lets keep it that way.

IP Logged

3n|9m@

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1231
Ok, then I think you read too much into that. I have re-read the article again, and all I can see is just one paragraph where she professed her love for the French language. That hardly qualifies as what you call "flighty attitude of hers, babbling and harping repeatedly on the topic of her "love" for all things French".

In any conversation, if you ask the other person about his/her specific area of interest or expertise, be it hell-biking or bonsai keeping; wakeboarding or chess; punk-rocking or poetry, you are likely to receive a short answer of a few sentences, or do you prefer the person to just sheepishly reply "ok lah, nothing much lah"? A single paragraph answer is par for the course really isn't it?

I find it so interesting that you can make a judgement on someone based on just a paragraph or two. Maybe you are somewhat influenced by the title of this thread "French Femme" or the introduction given on the main page, but even that is a tenuous link, it is hardly the fault of the writer and Christina herself is it?

IP Logged

Sunnyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyySideUp

Total Posts: 162
quote:
Originally posted by SupaFreak:
Yeh, I was quick to generalize but really, you can't blame anybody for that
You are obviously sterotyping. I'm not blaming anybody but you for generalising and sterotyping.

And I think you ought to be corrected.

IP Logged

hucks =]

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 712
Obviously there are differing views on this issue, and the discussion will go on forever if we let it. Shall we get back to the task at hand instead?

IP Logged

Gni

Total Posts: 175
Didn't sense anything wrong with Christina, but I must agree that there ARE people who intentionally put on an American or Australian accent with that "I'm superior" attitude. Blame it on colonial imperialism. Same with foreign languages. I'm impressed by people who are talented linguistically, but I'm definitely put off by some people who master foreign languages just to pass off with that "I'm superior" attitude.

IP Logged

SupaFreak

Total Posts: 173
Point taken. It is just too bad I see it different from you, sunny. And if in any case, my bad if any part of the posts were deemed personal to any foreign language student at NUS. But goodness, in the future, a title like "French femme" just ain't sit down well. Seriously, I am trying to picture a similiar write up in any American college, imagine a SoCal White girl interviewed, with a title that goes "Spanish femme" (most californians take up spanish as a second language). Man, I ain't trying to kid you, but she's just gonna get slammed. But as I said, this opinion is formulated on the basis of my own personal views and experiences, so let's keep it that way, right sunny? Nobody is correcting nothing, dude.

IP Logged

sandfly

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 916
Ok ok bad name, my bad too.

IP Logged

synapseman

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 3322
Nice. But got one question: Why are all the Femmes/Hommes Chinese? Variety is the spice of life, no?

IP Logged

Val_cer

Total Posts: 27
For those who can speak French fluently, where did you learn the language? Did you attend a language school?

How did you manage to practice speaking French since it has not much of use in Singapore? Did you rent French films or visit Alliance Francaise's library regularly?

Thanks.

This message was edited by Val_cer on 08 May 2004 01:23 PM

IP Logged

<< Next older topic1 2 | Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0