Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

mickeykord (mickey)

Funkygrad
  Career
Public sector vs Private sector

Author Topic: Public sector vs Private sector
edgearmy619

Total Posts: 1

Hey guys, what do you all think of the prospects of working in the public sector as opposed to that of the private sector?

Are the career prospects, long term advancement and learning opportunities really better in the private sector?

IP Logged

hotbull

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1300
I think other than perhaps EDB, IE Singapore, MOF and IDA, the rest of the public sector seems a tad too boring. Pace's not as fast and work's not as challenging. That's my opinion.

IP Logged

Justin

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1118
It all boils down to what you need and want in life. The public sector gives more stability in some sense, although the prospects are clearly lacking. The private sector offers more opportunities, but less stability.

I would suggest that if you currently have little or no financial constraints/responsibilities at hand, you could try looking for a private sector job first. Generally it would be easier to switch from private to public, imo.

IP Logged

flyingfox

Total Posts: 49
It maybe generalising too much if we are saying that all public sector jobs are boring; all private sector jobs have prospect. There are exciting public sector jobs and there are also boring private sector jobs. Ultimately, it depends largely on who you want to be, what you want to accomplish and how much effort you are willing to put in.

I feel that there are no company can guarantee a way of success for anyone, no company can ensure you have a long term advancement. After all, it depends on you.

IP Logged

logic76

Total Posts: 43
differences are aplenty between pte and public sectors, though there are similar areas too.

you are welcome to pm me if you need advice.

IP Logged

guitar

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 2790
Money is definitely better in the private sector but you have to work a lot harder!

IP Logged

logic76

Total Posts: 43
guitar,

i agree with you. though where I am, i've been working 13 - 14 hrs daily... sigh.

IP Logged

genghis1000

Total Posts: 13
My prespective, in the public sector, if the work today is not completed, you continue tomorrow but in the private sector, you do OT.

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 | Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0