Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

ASmallwoo (Aundrea)

Funkygrad
  Musings
Best Study Areas in Singapore.

Author Topic: Best Study Areas in Singapore.
mae

Total Posts: 3

Let's list them out...

IP Logged

^d-A-N^

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 709
My home. In an aircon room where I can fully concentrate on what I am doing rather then going out to try to get half the job done.

IP Logged

Jelly

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 312
yeh agreed. mugging at home is the best. high absorbency. but maybe without the aircon. expensive to mug with it on all day.

IP Logged

synapseman

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 3322
I just want to comment that those who go Changi Airport to study are wasting their time.

IP Logged

^d-A-N^

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 709
I wonder why, the only time I go to Changi Airport is for going oversea reasons. If not my friend would drive the bunch of us there & chill...

Elaboration please synapseman?

IP Logged

gogo57

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 302
Synapseman - u must have some grudge against the airport...I quite enjoyed the 'cold' temperatures in terminal 2, and depending on where u choose to go, rather quiet too.

Ur remarks are uncalled for, as one's bad experience there doesn't mean he/she is entitled to condemn the place.

IP Logged

synapseman

Ultra Senior Member

Uncalled for? I call it like it is! And I'll make that call again. I don't have a grudge against the airport because I only hold grudges against people.

Anyway, I'm not talking about the place. I am talking about the kids who go there to study. From what I observe, many of them could achieve higher productivity levels if they stayed at home, or went to the library. And what they are doing is really just loitering.

IP Logged

PotatoSkin

Total Posts: 207
The airport is quite a nice place to study actually. Cool and quiet. But i find the trip feasible only if u are staying in Tampines, Pasir Ris and the east zone. I find it silly to find people who travel from jurong to the airport to study. It juz isn't cost effective enough to be doing tgat. U can find good study areas in the west as well.

IP Logged

gogo57

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 302
Hey, hey, hey, cool down OK? This is not some place to get so worked up.

And from what I observed too, there are many who go to the library to loiter too, just that the librarian is there to tell those who made too much noise to keep their volume down. Anyway, I have frens who study best by having others to hang around, and to chit chat and such...some can't study in silence for long hours at a stretch. Depends on the individual...

IP Logged

d0pe

Total Posts: 32
the library works for me... if u dont' like the noise just find a quiet corner and hide there. there's gotta be a quiet place some where in the library.

d0pe

IP Logged

Jelly

Very Senior Member

it all really depends on the study habits of a person really. there are pple who cant study without the radio on n there are some who thrive studying in macdonalds but there are some who cant study with even the slightest of noise. so its really finding the method n location that works best for the u.

IP Logged

synapseman

Ultra Senior Member

Well let's put it this way: If I were a parent and my kid wanted to go to the airport to study, I wouldn't allow it. The lighting at certain places is bad, and I personally think that to study properly, you need to be seated at a table, and not sitting/lying on the floor. And it will depend on the company, too. Chances are, the friends would be more of a distraction than be of any help.

I was at the airport not too long ago, chatting with a friend, sitting at the viewing gallery for a good few hours. There were many teenagers studying, presumably for their "O" or "A" levels. I would judge their productivity levels to be no more than 30%.

As uni students, there will be ample facilities around campus to study, I believe. The library for a start. If not, try the tute rooms, computer labs, or study areas. Sometimes LTs can be un-used, too.

I did however, study at Serene Centre McDonald's during my sec sch/JC days, because it was quiet and not so busy that I'll get in the way of anybody else. I'd only study alone. But I also don't condone people hogging seats at places where it'd deprive other customers of a place to have their meal. That's just plain inconsiderate.

IP Logged

dominik

Total Posts: 69
yeah, agree that the airport is not a good place to study.
smart auth are making the lights dimmer so you can't study there.
and I see the airport food court covered with 'no studying' signs but I still see students studying there.

My friends went there to do a survery on why sec sch kids like to come to the airport to study.
hahah.. at the end, their bags got stolen.

you can't study in some community libraries nowadays.
I know Marine Parade lib doesn't allow it.

best plc to study? school!

IP Logged

mae

Total Posts: 3
toa payoh library too. they put up these signs asking you to go to community centres instead (is there air-con there?).

studying at home is good, if without the distractions. i find that i'm get easily distracted by either the tv or the computer. prefer to go out where i only have my books with me.

IP Logged

dominik

Total Posts: 69
haha.. you know why?
coz you got to join the lib club as a member and pay them money to use their studying room facilities.
they only know how to make money.

sheesh!
wonder why our parents pay taxes for?
IRAS even sent me a tax return form. scared the hell out of me!

IP Logged

Jelly

Very Senior Member

the world trade centre area is quite a gd place to study too. very quiet during the weekdays especially.

IP Logged

Atreyu

Total Posts: 235
Well, I usually mug in school (NUS) at Engineering side there, usually with a LAN powerpoint nearby so I can stream radio at the same time, best is when I can get a classroom that is unoccupied
AND has LAN points as well....

IP Logged

schizo

Total Posts: 52
Home is still the best for me. The library and other air-conditioned places are too quiet. =) At home can chew on snacks as loud as you want, and can scream as loud as you want if you get frustrated. =) The home comp a source of temptation? Well if you plug in your laptop at the library same thing.

And I try not to study with friends, we will most probably end talking about the cute gal at the opposite table in the end, no work done. =)

IP Logged

¥£

Total Posts: 27
I have a habit of doing my work on the bed (lying down of course). The same goes for studying. I think that is the most comfy place for studying. At least i can avoid straining my back due to hours of sitting (hurting buttocks too).

IP Logged

genie

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 327
No can do. Lying in bed is definitely not workable for me. I am sure to fall asleep. Confirm sleep for me.

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 2 3Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0