What's the coolest natural spectacle you've seen? - [forum] funkygrad.com - Singapore's Student Lifestyle Portal
Your Shout Campus Happenings Lifestyle Reviews Talk Back Lifestyle Events Member's Console

Nightlife Review: Izakaya Nijumaru
posted 4 years ago
Travel Review: Shilin Night Market
posted 4 years ago
Fashion Review: Marcella Tailor
posted 3 years ago
Tech Review: Garmin nüvi 1350, GPS
posted 4 years ago

Capture the essence of campus life at The Funkygrad Gallery
Campus Journalists Wanted. Contact the editor now!

No event today.

Login:
Password:
Remember my ID on this computer
No account? Register for your free account now!
Lost your password? Click here to retrieve it.

Who Is Online?

0 member, 100 anonymous users

Newest Member

phenfrank (phen)

Funkygrad
  Around the World
What's the coolest natural spectacle you've seen?

Author Topic: What's the coolest natural spectacle you've seen?
Name      :
Password :
   Remember my Login

Smile Frown Embarrassed Big Grin Wink Stick out Tongue Stick out Tongue Kiss Cool Roll Eyes Approval Suspicious Evil Mad Eek Confused Dead Look Hot!
Bold Italics Insert URL Hyperlink Insert Email Address Insert Bulleted List Quote Display Image
Message (help):

Disable Smilies in this post.

Pinky12

Total Posts: 21

What's the coolest natural spectacle you've seen? I saw a I saw a moonbow (rainbow at night) over a frozen lake in Auckland, NZ about 2 years ago.

IP Logged

PhoenixJade

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 347
I am very fascinated with lightning. I saw a very nice series of them when I was on an MRT train during a heavy storm. And I prefer to look at real lightning streaks than those captured on photos.

IP Logged

Shinji

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 306
I remembered seeing a fully circled rainbow during my primary school days. Is it a common sight?

IP Logged

mangoshin

Total Posts: 144
On my first ever ride on board an air plane, I saw not one but 2 beautiful rainbows amidst the clouds. It was amazing!

IP Logged

PhoenixJade

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 347
Yeah! Rainbows are beautiful too. I have always wanted to touch a rainbow. Or walk through it. Is it possible? Anyone done that before? I think its magical..

IP Logged

Fat_Cat

Total Posts: 92
Hmm, I remember seeing 2 rainbows intersecting during moi pri sch days too

IP Logged

p

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 798
Date: May 13 2000
Time: Between 2300-0000

You look up. You don't see the night sky. You see a cyclopean blanket of burning lights.

IP Logged

Astroboy

Total Posts: 67
ermm double rainbows? hmm yeah i saw one of those during my jc anniversary or something. was quite amazing as it occured as the sun was setting and all the people was just standing to view it on the tracks and pitch

IP Logged

Chopin

Total Posts: 240
Think I am quite unlucky. Only saw rainbows 3 to 5 time till now. Anyway, its a beautiful sight. Think for me it should be when Iwent to Australia for training. The scenary from the camp site in the evening overlooking the mountains was quite something. And the R&R at this forgot-the-name island was terrific. Clear water, smooth sand and all. One word to describe it, breathtaking.

IP Logged

Silver Jubilant

Total Posts: 19
Note: To those of you who saw 2 rainbows, Not possible. One of it is actually the reflection of the other!

Anyone here seen the "aurora Australis"? Well, I have a few. My most coolest natural spectacle would be to see the galaxy on a dark stary night in Australia. Other than that would be the solar eclipse of 1996, Hailey's Comet & the sunrise and sunset in winter and summer!

IP Logged

Lazy Bone

Total Posts: 7
I have seen auroras on photographs. they are so pretty!

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora/

Glaciers in Alaska are beautiful too! They have a clear aquamarine hue. I once saw a mile of glaciers surrounding the ship my family was on. The water was cool and crystal clear. One day I will love to organize a hiking trip there, just to see the sights up close . Let me know if you are interested. http://www.powerpointart.com/pages/alask a-1.html

IP Logged

TheOnion

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 573
Niagara Falls. If you are to take the "Maid of the Mist", you will be able to see rainbows (if it is not a cloudy day). Even better if you go in the winter. The view will be breathtaking.

IP Logged

3n|9m@

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1231
Chopin, If you went to Aussie for training, I think the place you went on R&R is called Keppel Island! During my army training in Australia in 2000, it was the period of the biggest thunderstorm to hit Queensland for 30 years, and we witness a coastal cyclone in the night, the wind was very very strong, and we can see the clouds in the sky swirling around in a circular motion, and a series of lightning was seen among the clouds, a real spectacle! I remembered everyone were standing outside their tentages watching in awe.

As for a very spectacular natural phenomenon, you've gotta visit the Great Ocean Road in Victoria Australia! The Lock Ard Arch, the 'London Bridge' and of course the 12 Apostles! I think it should be installed as a annual field trip for all upper secondary Geography students! Where else better to observe the topic of 'Marine Processes'?

IP Logged

Abo

Total Posts: 49
I dun rem the place exactly but I was travelling by car to Albany from Perth (Australia). We were staying at a cottage in the midst of a forest (there were only abt 10 cottages in all). And from the porch of the cottage, i look up the stars are amazing. whole sky of them MILLIONS of them so dazzling and so shiny that looking at them for more than 1 min makes me DIZZY. But it was REALLY a spectacular sight cos we were in the forest, thus the surroundings were really really dark just rite for viewing the starry sky! i 'll always remember that night! WHAT A VIEW!

IP Logged

its_just_me

Ultra Senior Member

Total Posts: 1333
Mine is a bit mundane but I still find it cool. It was evening time in Sungei Gedong Camp and the rain has just stopped falling. I stepped out of the office and the whole scene hit me.

The glow of the setting sun infusing the whole compound; glistening patches of water on the parade square; the trees dripping droplets of water off their leaves; the smell of the fresh air; the sight of a rainbow in the yellowish-orangey sky. How can such a marvellous sight occur in that hell-hole?

Regretfully, I had to rush off on an errand and when I came back, it was gone. Beauty can be found in the most unexpected of places, yes?

IP Logged

Spiff

Very Senior Member

Total Posts: 418
The year was 1993. A buddy of mine and I were college students in a small town, just outside Toronto, Canada. He was a chinese-speaking fella, streetsmart, you could almost call him a beng. I was an english-speaking fella. We were brought together by our folks to watch out for one another, being new students in a foreign land.

It was our first winter, and we'd taken the same path to school every day. One morning, as every other morning for the past couple of weeks, we trod off to school. The difference, it snowed heavily the night before and the plows had just gone by in the early morning and cleared the roads of snow. The sun had just come up.

No, the natural spectacle was not the snow.

The natural spectacle was walking with beng to school, and at 3 out of the 10 or so corners we had to negotiate, he kept walking next to the sidewalk (we were on the road) and falling. I know he was being cautious and keeping away from the road, but there weren' that many cars at 7am in the morning. Problem was, the sun was melting the snow and the cold air was freezing it leaving a nice puddle of melted ice which one could hardly see.

At the first slip, I told him to be careful. At the next corner, he fell again and I helped him up and grinned. I told him to stay away from the corners where the ice was. When he fell for the third time, I laughed all the way to school. The poor fella had a sore bum for the rest of the day. Man! I still laugh about it now.

Spiff
ps. i love the clear night sky in foreign lands.

IP Logged

pizza

Total Posts: 288
I love when the sun is just going over the horizon, and the sky turns crazy pinks, purples, oranges and yellows. Especailly when there are clouds and the colors just all reflect off each other. It makes me appreciate all of the room we have and the wonders in our universe. It also makes me think about how small we are in comparison to the rest of the heavens.

IP Logged

<< Next older topic | 1 | Next newer topic >>

All times are EST.

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Move Topic | Delete Topic | Edit Subject

Jump to:  

© 2000-2012 FunkyGrad.com. All Rights Reserved. FGPortal ™ Public Beta 2.0